Who’s next?

by Matthew Harris on June 14, 2012

Speculation as to the next manager is inevitable and it’s hard to ignore at the moment. The first name mentioned from all corners of the media seems to be David Moyes and that has been supported by the bookmakers, most of whom put the Everton manager down as 5/4 favourite.

In second place is Roberto Martinez at around 7/4 but the third favourite seems to have dropped from 14/1 down to around 6/1 shortly after his name was first mentioned on social media. Fabio Capello has a great record at domestic level and might be a good choice but is he a realistic prospect or are those odds reflective of how much influence rumour and gossip have?

As for Moyes or Martinez, is it a case that Spurs can give the platform for these talented managers to win trophies or should we be looking at someone who has ‘been there and done it?’

Simple question then – who is your choice?

Spread The Spurs Love:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Buzz

{ 62 comments… read them below or add one }

James Peace June 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Venables and Ray Wilkins !

Spursboy June 15, 2012 at 8:41 am

L-E-V-Y is a bastard he gets rid of all good Managers I.e Martin Jol for no reason & nor Redknapp he don’t like no one. He shud go himself. So plz F.Off

Andy B June 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Brendan Rodgers was my first choice. Watching Swansea play last season was like seeing a top european side with flair. It is a shame that Spurs missed out on him. Maybe Levy could have acted quicker and got him?

My second choice would be Slaven Bilic. Croatia play exciting attacking football under him and this is his last tournament in charge of the national team.

My third choice would be to have a punt on Andre Villa Boas. It may not have worked at Chelsea who wanted instant success but he has an impressive record and given time, he could be great. He also likes his teams to play attacking football.

JIM June 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm

your first choice = dreadful, failed at reading & watford FFS !!

your second choice = never managed in england and already agreed to go a club side in russia.

third choice = even worse, did you see what he did at chelsea? looked clueless.

Has to be Moyes or it will be a downgrade.

Chris June 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

why moyes ? what has he ever done? his teams play boring ugly football, everton never beat liverpool and are continually mid table! real up grade

Marc June 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Who is david moyes? We really do need a big name to come and take over and keep our good players. What about Hiddink?

Daniel June 14, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I’d put AVB as first choice. His problem at Chelsea was having to appease some of the pensioner players as well as the crazy owner.
Spurs haven’t bought anyone expensive for a couple of years and must have decent money saved now. I can’t see any of the big players we do have causing trouble (Bale, for example, would work well with the AVB’s system) and even if Modric, Bale, or VdV wanted to move on that would just give him a bigger checkbook.

We need sometime with good tactical understanding who knows how to use the squad. AVB. His weakest area, that I can see, is a high defensive line and giving up a couple more goals, potentially. That’s not too different from how Spurs already play — more attacking, more flair. Plus, Vertonghen, Caulker, and Kaboul would all do well in that.

AVB please.

Richard June 14, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Right, runners and riders to replace Harry.

Mentioned in the press already:

Moyes
Martinez
Rodgers (despite having been at Liverpool for 5 minutes!)
AVB
Benitez
Klopp
Frank de Boer
Capello
Klinsmann (surely not!?)

Others not mentioned but who might be/should be under consideration:

Hiddink
Joachim Low
Pardew
Martin O’Neill (but allegedly not a favourite of Levy’s due to financial records at past clubs)
Ranieri (unemployed so cheap)
Laurent Blanc
Rene Girard (managed unfancied Montpellier to the French title this year ahead of uber-rich PSG)
Neil Lennon
Dick Advocaat
Marcelo Bielsa
Gus Poyet

Chrissivad from spurs community is GAY June 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Deschamps has been contacted already.

allardyce June 14, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Deschamps will never leave his love at Marseille for Tottenham. It will take a monster club like Real, Juventus, or even Arsenal for him to make the jump.

Jeeva Jothi June 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm

My choice in respective order…Guardiola, Hiddink, Blanc, Capello

Richard June 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Andy B – I thought of Bilic too, but he’s already agreed to take over Lokomotiv Moscow after the Euros.

Andy B June 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Has Bilic actually signed a contract with Lokomotiv Moscow?

Andy B June 14, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Yeah, just checked Wikipedia. Bilic has signed a contract with Lokomotiv Moscow.

Richard June 14, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Jeeva Jothi – Guardiola is top of everyone’s list, but it’s just not going to happen. He should be approached, of course, but I’ve got as much chance of taking the Spurs job as he does.

robbie June 14, 2012 at 1:49 pm

He should defiantly be approached but like you say i can’t see it happening :-( … but if we want to be the best you have got to go for the best!

Richard June 14, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Very true – don’t ask don’t get. It has to be done quietly though – we don’t want to look like Liverpool; aimlessly calling around Europe offering the job to every manager who picks up the phone…

Marc June 14, 2012 at 2:21 pm

To be honest, a monkey could have managed a side like Barcelona with the array of talent on offer. Give Pep a side like Wigan to manage and then see what a good manager is!

robbie June 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm

so you don’t want him at spurs then?

Ken June 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm

In my dreams it would be Pep but aint gonna happen. Ancelotti not available, so after those two – Capello has experience but no longevity hey there is one manager available – The only Englishman to win the FA Cup in 17 years, reached 1/4 finals of CL and finished 4 – 5 – 4 in the EPL…… His CV is more impressive than kept Everton or Wigan from being relegated or finished 12th in the EPL in only season there…. but hey Im just a fan.

Ian June 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I like capello.
His English is as good as jol, his record for clubs is great and he like London
Also I believe levy already has someone but will leave a couple of days to announce, all transfers are taking a while so I presume new manager is deciding

Kenny June 14, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I would have thought the board have already sounded out a possible replacement and we will know in the coming days. I don’t however sign up to the David Moyes bandwagon as I believe we need a manager who will attract world class players and I don’t think Moyes fits the bill, this would be a move sideways and not forward. Maybe Deschamps, Van Gaal or Laudrup??

Jack June 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Is there a particular reason that i am missing as to why nobody is thinking about Louis Van Gaal?

Richard June 14, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Van Gaal might be a bit of a short term option (but so would Capello and Hiddink). I think the main problems would be that he’s not managed for a while, he would be very expensive and he is (apparently) a difficult man to work with which may not suit Levy.

Conor June 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Klinsmann

Daniel June 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Have you seen the mess that is the current US national team? He’s making me remember Bradley fondly. NO KLINSMANN!

AVB
Bielsa (does he speak English?)
Solskjaer (he turned down Villa, but we should be able to tempt him more)
Moyes

…in that order.

Daniel June 14, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I forgot — add de Boer to that list.

kushinga June 14, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Wenger should also be approached, he is a gud manager

David June 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm

Has anybody given a thought to Chris Hughton?
I think thats the right spelling apologies.

Chris June 14, 2012 at 2:10 pm

he has gone to norwich

Dannyspurs June 14, 2012 at 2:09 pm

AVB, Blanc, Van Gaal, Deschamp, Lowe, Capello or Hiddink.

Any of them would do for me.

Please not Benitez.

Levy has a plan, he must have been thinking about the next manager for months.

cut June 14, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Grant, Hodgson or Goldberg (my local rabbi)

James June 14, 2012 at 2:18 pm

It’s never going to happen, but I’d personally love Jol back. Some of our best players are ones which he bought into the team: Dawson, Lennon, Thudd, BAE and Kaboul. He also achieved 5th place twice with a somewhat inferior team.

S.A Yiddo June 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Frank Rijkaard

Richard June 14, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Not a bad shout – does anyone know what he’s doing at the moment?

Jurgen18 June 14, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I think the job will be given to AVB. Levy has (before harry) always looked to secure European managers. He didn’t really get given a chance at Chelsea, he was told to re-vamp the squad, giving them a younger look, then booted out when he was no more than quarter of the way through the process. I actually think it could be a good appointment should they go for him. Though if the pressure was great at Chelsea, it’s going to be just as great with us once all the harry-loving papers jump on our next managers back!
Personally, i would like to see it given to Capello with Tim Sherwood being bumped up to assistant and ready to take over when Fabio goes.
Anoyone but Benitez or Martinez.

Suffering Spur.. June 14, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Please no moyes!!!!!he doesnt brush his teeth…
he is useless…my first choice is beneites…

Jurgen18 June 14, 2012 at 2:32 pm

beneites??? never heard of him!!

super spur June 14, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Why would any big name manager want to come to Tottenham, we are a laughing stock.

bill June 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm

cause we have an exciting squad with potential and by sacking rednap we are showing ambition

super spur June 14, 2012 at 3:14 pm

An exciting squad that managed to finish fourth and look disinterested and bottled the last third of the season? That’ll get them in. Modric is off, Bale is off and probably VDV if he’s got any sense. Not so exciting now is it?

bill June 14, 2012 at 3:20 pm

there all under contract so we dont have to sell any of them

Super spur June 14, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Yeah you’re right because players under contract never force their way out of clubs do they?

bill June 14, 2012 at 3:01 pm

harry had his flaws but i think he is better than moyes or martinez. The job has to go to someone that has won a title before and has that experience to lead the team through the ups and downs of a title race otherwise they should of kept rednap. I reckon hiddik or fabio would be sound appointments but Carlo and his eyebrow would make me a happy fan. Know it wont happen but he has that sort of personallity that the players would want to play for and he has been there done that

Suffering Spur.. June 14, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Top teams dont keep chnaging managers…look at our neighbours andd also manure,,changing doesnt guarantee success,,,we had the best of times since venables with harry…spurs played the best football i have known since days of venners..understandably yes harry has a big mouth,,but aside that he gave us thee best moments…why chnage if it aijt damaged,,,LEVY F OFFF….

Daniel June 14, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I agree that we would ideally keep a manager long term, but — assuming that HR was good enough to be that long term manager — how long could you expect him to stay as manager at his age and health?

Steve June 14, 2012 at 3:09 pm

At first I was afraid, I was petrified
Kept thinking I could never turn Spurs into a top four side
Then I spent oh so many nights thinking we could win the league
I was wrong, now I don’t want to carry on
Cos we were back, into fourth place
We were up there till December, but we’ll never win the race
I should have sold that bloody Friedel, should have dropped him from the team
If I had known for just one second he’d concede more than Derby
So many matches, ended up 2-2
At half time we were winning, then we went and effing drew!
And now I’m twitching while I’m thinking, should I have sold Jermain Defoe?
Woy got the England job, so I’m feeling pretty low
So now I’m gone, I’m out the door
Levy just didn’t want to see me anymore
The discussions were a farce, now I’m right out on my arse
But I’ll survive, I will survive
Yes I, I will survive
Oh, if we’d have had just two more points the CL dream would be alive
But Ledley’s almost dead, Kaboul’s just overfed

But I’ll survive, I will survive
It took all the strength I had, not to fall apart
When I was up before the beak for that tax evasion lark
And I spent oh so many nights trying to book Monaco flights
Cos I can’t read, so BA’s terms are all meaningless to me
And as for Modric, he’s all front
He sulked for half the season, the selfish little . . . runt
I should have sold him to the Chavs but Levy wouldn’t play
All I asked was 10 per cent to supplement my pay
But I, I will survive
Levy wants the Special One because he’s got more drive
I should have gone to Liverpool, can I go back to West Ham?
I know one thing for certain, I’m better than Fat Sam!
I told them all, that I was triffic
Though as I can’t read or write there’s little scientific
Tactics, what are they? And I can’t kick a ball
For three million a year I did basically eff all
That’s it I’m gone, I’m out the door
Couldn’t stick it with those dirty scum fans any more
Tottenham have no class, my heart was always with the Arse

Totspurs June 14, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Guus Hiddink and Poyet for me or if not Cappello we need to be thinking big we are Tottenham……….

MrT76 June 14, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Dalgliesh?

SPUDHATER June 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm

NO ONE WOULD WANT TO LOWER THEMSELVES TO MANAGE A JOKE CLUB LIKE TOTTERINGSHIT HOTSHITE!!!!

WOULD ANY OF THOSE MANAGERS WANT TO FIGHT A RELEGATION DOG FIGHT NEXT SEASON?????????????

THE ANSWER is ERrrrrr… Probably… maybe..
A DEFINITE BIG BIG HUGE MEGA “NO “~~!!!!!!!!!!

LOLLLLLLLLLLL JOKE CLUB!~!!!!!!!!

allardyce June 14, 2012 at 3:37 pm

We need to build. Martinez for me. Would love Moyes, but would also hate to break his love relationship with Everton. No more been there done that type of guys. I want somebody who is willing to be here for a decade and win something consistently. One Premiership before I die please.

joe June 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Get bk down arsenal and say goodbye 2 rvp u silly prick dnt u c most spurs fans are happy with this news :) onwards and upwards

SPUDHATER June 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm

U WONT BE THAT HAPPY ANYMORE come this DECEMBER!!
H AHAHAHHAHA LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Istillluvking June 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I really hope Levy has someone lined up.
If not we are in a hurry. The managers are fast finding other clubs (Rodgers and Bilic).
And our hands are tied in the transfer market untill the manager situation is sorted.
But Levy has done wonders for us running the club the way he does, so I think we should not worry (too much. We are SPURs you know).
We need to get some deals done very soon.
Where is Vertonghen????
I thought it was a done deal….

maximus June 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm

AVB for spurs all the way he is a perfect fit – moyes is not an improvement from redknapp

Blake June 14, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Great move on the sacking, I think it’s whats best for the club. I think thou the only person who well keep the likes of Bale, Vdv, Walker ect, (I think Modders is gone) is if he brings in AVB. He has EPL expeirence, brings in a long term plan for the club, he himself is young, he’s tactically aware, knows how to integrate youth into the club and he knows how to rotate.

allardyce June 14, 2012 at 8:40 pm

AVB is not coming back to the EPL for a while. I think Martinez is the best bet as you know we are going to make as small a splash as possible in the wage department.

Blake June 14, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I think if Spurs are serious we have to get AVB. Pay AVB, it can’t be that much more than Redknapp’s deal.

bill June 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm

i hope the new manager gives dos santos a fresh start and we start to see his real potential at spurs

Chrissivad from spurs community is GAY June 15, 2012 at 12:01 am

Real tasty.

RichD June 15, 2012 at 11:00 am

AVB for me. And give him a long term contract. He has the tactical nouse of a Capello, but with the verbal dexterity of Mourinho. AVB might not have Harry’s skill in turning a deal, but Levy is able to drive a hard bargain and bring in players like Modric and Bale, and has ultimately shown in giving Harry the boot that he gets his way (one worry is AVB’s control of the dressing room at Stanford Bridge when an owner gets involved, but he should have learned from that experience). AVB is young, ok not a trong point in itself, but if I was Levy I’d be giving AVB a 5 or even 6 year contract, and saying two things, Champions League football in the next two seasons and you can have the cash to build a dynasty at Spurs, and devlope the likes of Giovanni, Livermore, etc

Bcee June 17, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Blanc
Klopp
AVB
Moyes

Particularly the top two. People who have won a strong league with similar resources to us, and will have an advantage when FFP comes in.