Who was your man of the match against Reading?

by Matthew Harris on September 17, 2012

We haven’t done one of these for a while and it’s nice to finally be given the opportunity! After yesterday’s 3-1 win over Reading the Sky TV Cameras gave the champagne to Jermain Defoe after his two goals secured the points but were there any other candidates?
In a poll carried out by the club, Jan Vertonghen scored heavily after a solid display at the heart of the defence. The Belgian’s calmness was reminiscent (for those old enough to remember) of Richard Gough, during his brief stay at the club.
Gylfi Sigurdsson, Aaron Lennon and Gareth Bale also played major parts in the win but is Defoe your man or is someone else more deserving of our accolade?

Spread The Spurs Love:
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Reddit
  • StumbleUpon
  • Twitter
  • Yahoo! Buzz

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

Matt September 17, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Didn’t you know you’re not allowed to use the phrase Man of the Match, as it’s somebody’s “intellectual property”…

Ridiculous.

Pikey September 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I hope all of you planks who were saying Defoe should be replaced during the summer are feeling a little glum!

Jayme September 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm

He had a good game but again had 9 chances and was very wasteful…..dont get me wrong a great game and I thought he should be retained as our super sub.

Let me tell you though when he comes up against Man Utd at the end of the month he will be invisible.

I have been a spurs fan many years and remember him scoring braces and hattricks against the likes of Leeds in the FA Cup, Wigan in the 9-1, Middlesboro, Pompey and Wolves oh and Young Boys of Bern.

I dont however remember him scoring even one brace against any top 6 club in his whole career.

Pikeys Dad September 17, 2012 at 7:49 pm

The way you write is sexy as fuck im soo proud of you. Now come to bed and give your Dad a good rimming son, again.

Pikey September 17, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Thanks Dad. Will be there in 2mins. Im gunner smash your Gary Glitter right in Daddy. Hmmm.

mark September 17, 2012 at 2:55 pm

vertonghen was good every thing he did especialy in the air.absolutely marveles.

AllWhiteMark September 17, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Its a no brainer; Defoe got a double and terrorised the poor reading defence for 90 minutes. Any other result is just the pathetic “JD cant lead the line” whiners who are incredibly bitter about just how wrong they’ve been.

Andrew September 17, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Defoe is in great form and I’m delighted to see that. Up next, Lazio and QPR although Ade should get the start in the Lazio game. Lennon played well and also Vertonghen but Jermaine Defoe deserves the match ball for his brace against Reading. Well done you Spurs!

Jayme September 17, 2012 at 4:33 pm

My team for Lazio

Lloris,
Walker, Caulker, Dawson, Naughton
Huddlestone, Livermore
Dempsey, Carroll, Townsend
Adebayor

Looks strong enough to win to me

Nice 1 Cyril September 17, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Vertonghen was KINGESQ, Defoe finally found the net more than once, but for me Sandro allowed them to play, he stopped everyone that came at him, put in a great shift. Notice how no one iis saying we miss Parker. Special mention for Haughton, playing on his wrong side, hardly missed BAE

Jimbo September 17, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I love the fact that Defoe had a great game on Sunday. But he’ll face much sterner defence who will find it a lot easier to bully him off the ball. Such as West Brom and Norwich did. I’m all for him doing well, and I’m delighted he scored, but I wouldn’t be so reactionary about it. At some point we will need Ade to muscle out a tougher defence.

Killthespud September 17, 2012 at 3:31 pm

They were all trash. What made the difference was that Reading was worse.

Peter September 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm

The manager should note the percentages above, no one voted for Gallas & Friedel. It is time for a change to Dawson & the new French goalie. It looks like Bale & Lennon could give more time to coaching. The display against Reading wouldn’t hold to getting a point off the top teams in the Premiership. Spurs will start to be easy meat for most of the clubs in the Premiership.

Jayme September 17, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Friedel just worries me, his kicking is a bit wayward and times and looks like he struggles to generate the power in his old legs.

He is terribly slow off the line and if I was a striker I would pass the ball into the net like Snodgrass did knowing the guy has zero flexibility.

He had nothing to do yet we conceded and Gallas cleared off the line for me he doesnt take initiative in coming for the ball and therefore defenders have to bail him out.

Only people who rave about him are match of the day fans who only watch highlights or Arsenal fans as they know how good Lloris is!!!

Mitchell September 17, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I still think Adebayor should start and I’m afraid he isnt going to and then he is gonna be unhappy and all we will have is defoe.

Peters Dad September 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm

Hey Pikey is it ok if me and my son Peter join in? Please, we will rim you after you have a shit.

Pikey September 18, 2012 at 12:33 am

Hi Peter, more the merrier. Fuck me you sound horny. Come and help yourself im gunner rim you allnight.

Daniel September 18, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Not nominating him for MOTM but I thought Hudd looked solid — especially considering he’s completely out of form.

It’s nice to see depth in the squad and a manager willing to use both squad rotation and subs early enough to matter.