An interesting infographic has been doing the rounds on social media and it proves Tottenham are perhaps the most unfortunate, albeit consistent, team in the country.
Sky’s Monday Night Football programme put together a Premier League table that combines all the key statistics from the last two seasons: wins, draws, defeats, goals for, goals against, points and, finally, net spend.
— Sky Football ⚽️ (@SkyFootball) May 2, 2017
So, over the 72-game period starting at the beginning of last season, Spurs have:
- Won more matches than any other team
- Lost fewer matches than other team
- Scored the most goals
- Conceded the fewest goals
- Acquired the most points (15 more than Manchester City in 2nd)
- Administered a far lower net spend than the four closest challengers
Of course, what really matters is silverware. Tottenham finished 3rd last year after challenging for the title for most of the season, while they remain four points behind leaders Chelsea this term.
Despite their consistency, Spurs will rue their luck when it comes to tangible rewards. But the combined table certainty shows the club is making huge progress.