Mauricio Pochettino has said he is unable to put a timeline on Harry Kane’s return from an ankle injury but refused to rule the striker out of Tottenham’s Champions League last 16 first leg against Borussia Dortmund.
Kane has been sidelined since damaging ankle ligaments in Spurs’ Premier League defeat to Manchester United earlier this month. He was initially been ruled out until March but there have been suggestions he could return earlier.
The 24-year-old recovered from a similar injury quicker than expected last season, although it’s worth nothing he didn’t play to the best of his abilities in the latter stages of the campaign or over the summer, despite winning the Golden Boot at the World Cup.
In his press conference ahead of Saturday’s league meeting with Newcastle United, Pochettino was asked if the plan is for Kane to return against Dortmund at Wembley on February 13.
According to Football London, Pochettino said: “He wants to play. We’ll see because at the end we have the experience with him the most important is he feels strong, the physical condition is important so yes to get fit and arrive in the moment that he feels he’ll be strong and going to be fit again to compete is going to be there.
“It’s not to put time on him to be involved with the team because the most important now is to focus and recover.”
While it would be great to have Kane back for the Dortmund game and subsequent important matches in February, it’s so important he doesn’t rush himself back at the risk of doing further damage.