Tottenham forward Steven Bergwijn admitted that he’s making progress after suffering an ankle injury in Spurs’ draw with Burnley this month.
The Dutchman was expected to miss the remainder of the campaign after sustaining the injury in the latter stages of the game at Turf Moor, but could now be involved in what’s left in the season after the coronvirus outbreak cause a halt in all Premier League games until 30 April at the earliest.
The club confirmed that after assessment, Bergwijn suffered a ‘significant sprain’ to his left ankle and would undergo an extended period of rehabilitation.
Bergwijn left Lancashire wearing a protective boot, but in a recent interview with Tottenham’s official website, the former PSV man said he is back walking again and is hoping to return to action stronger.
He said: “I’m making progress. “As you can see, I can walk now and today (Thursday). I’ll get my new boot, so that’s good news.
“At the moment I got the kick (at Burnley) I thought it was serious. I was in so much pain and that night, I couldn’t sleep. It was bad, but we’re making progress and I’ll come back stronger.”
Prior to his injury, Bergwijn had made an impressive start to life in the Premier League, scoring two goals in his opening seven games for Spurs, including that stunning volley on his debut in the 2-0 victory against Manchester City last month.