Jose Mourinho has told Ryan Sessegnon he will not be allowed to leave Tottenham this summer, according to Football Insider.
Sessegnon has been linked with a departure from Spurs, with the Telegraph claiming Fulham were interested in re-signing the full-back on loan last month.
But Football Insider believes Sessegnon has now been told by Mourinho that he will stay put beyond the close of the current transfer window and play a more important role this season.
The 20-year-old barely featured during the Premier League run-in having only occasionally played throughout the campaign, filling in for Ben Davies at left-back during the Welshman’s injury lay-off.
But it seems Mourinho will now put his trust in Sessegnon with increased minutes, either at left-back or further forward as a winger.
Sessegnon scored in Tottenham’s recent friendly victory over Ipswich Town and found the net for England’s Under-21s against Kosovo last week.
But he will arguably need to impress in more competitive games if he is to stay in the side throughout the campaign.
Davies is likely to start ahead of Sessegnon in Sunday’s Premier League curtain-raiser against Everton – unless the former has impressed in training of late.