Tottenham defender breaks silence amid Manchester United interest

Tottenham defender breaks silence amid Manchester United interest

0
Tottenham Hotspur's Belgian defender Toby Alderweireld lies injured during the UEFA Champions League Group H football match between Tottenham Hotspur and Real Madrid at Wembley Stadium in London, on November 1, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / Adrian DENNIS (Photo credit should read ADRIAN DENNIS/AFP/Getty Images)

newsnow_abanimated

Toby Alderweireld has suggested his future is out of his hands amid reports linking the Tottenham defender with a move to Manchester United.

The Belgian is expected to leave Spurs this summer after failing to agree terms on a new contract earlier this year.

A serious hamstring injury limited Alderweireld’s playing time last season, and the much-discussed contract dispute appeared to cause friction between the player and Mauricio Pochettino.

After signing a new five-year deal last month, Pochettino has apparently been promised increased transfer funds to overhaul his squad this summer.

Alderweireld’s exit is likely to kickstart Tottenham’s transfer business, although reports suggest Spurs are not currently in talks with Manchester United over a deal.

The 29-year-old hasn’t been asked about his future since United’s interest became known – until now.

“I have another two years of contract. Tottenham decides about my future. Of course I have my own idea,” said Alderweireld, according to the London Evening Standard.

“The past season was tough. But I’m glad that I could play the last four matches. That means that I am ready for the World Cup.”

Alderweireld lost his place in the Spurs side to Davinson Sanchez in 2017/18, who enjoyed an impressive debut season in England.

Regardless of Sanchez’s impact, Tottenham are still expected to sign a replacement for Alderweireld – Ajax teenager Matthijs de Ligt is said to be among the club’s top targets.

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.