Eric Dier has admitted he had doubts over his Tottenham future before Jose Mourinho made him a key part of the squad again.
The 26-year-old signed a new long-term contract with the club earlier this week despite a turbulent couple of years at Spurs, during which his status in the team has been up in the air.
Having joined from Sporting Libson as a defender and playing both at centre-back and right-back during his first season in England, Dier was moved into central midfield by Mauricio Pochettino and formed an impressive partnership with Mousa Dembele.
However, his performances soon dropped off as a result of injury and health problems, and Dier was nothing more than a bit-part player when Pochettino was still in charge at the beginning of the current campaign.
But Mourinho has returned the England international to his previous role of centre-back, where he started ahead of Toby Alderweireld after the restart – until a ban all but ended his season prematurely.
Speaking to Sky Sports, Dier has admitted his future was in doubt but says he is happy to be back in his best position.
“This season has been a bit up and down for me, and there was a time where I didn’t feel like my future would be here,” he said.
“But things have changed since then and I am really happy with where I am at with the club, the manager and the position I am playing in.
“I want to be playing in the position I see to be my best. Thankfully I am in a place now where the club and manager feel the same way.”
His ban now served, Dier could be back in the team when Tottenham face Crystal Palace in the final game of the season on Sunday – check out our predicted XI here.